Financial Resources for the Unemployed
Unemployment can be one of the biggest financial challenges you face in your lifetime. The support of loved ones along with a little outside help can be crucial to keeping your head above water as you embark on a new job search.
If you are between jobs or struggling to meet your daily living expenses, check out the following list of organizations that offer consumer support and stepping stones for the unemployed.
- Career One Stop Centers – Operated by the U.S. Department of Labor, regional offices of Career One Stop provide resources and training programs to individuals facing serious barriers to employment.
- GovBenefits.gov – GovBenefits.gov is the official benefits website for the U.S. government. It contains information on more than 1,000 benefit and assistance programs.
- 2-1-1 – Spearheaded by the United Way and the Alliance for Information and Referral Systems, 2-1-1 is a telephone number that connects consumers with community services in many parts of the country.
- Feeding America Food Bank Network – Feeding America is the nation’s largest charitable hunger-relief organization. Its 200+ member food banks and food-rescue organizations serve all 50 states, the District of Columbia and Puerto Rico.
- Food and Nutrition Service (FNS) – FNS offers resources and advice on good nutrition and food shopping. Information on food stamp services is also available.
- Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) – The CMS website offers detailed information on Medicare, Medicaid and SCHIP (State Children’s Health Insurance Plan).
- InsureKidsNow.gov – InsureKidsNow.gov provides information on free and low-cost health insurance for children up to age 18.
- Foundation for Health Coverage Education (FHCE) – The FHCE offers resources to help consumers find health insurance coverage.
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) – HUD’s website is a comprehensive resource for buying and selling homes, consumer rights and help for the homeless. It also provides a list of non-profit housing counseling agencies that can assist homeowners at risk of foreclosure.
- Find Law – Find Law provides an attorney search in addition to detailed information about legal issues like bankruptcy, family law and employment law.