Take Charge America (TCA) is a national nonprofit agency offering financial education and counseling services including credit counseling, debt management, student loan counseling, housing counseling and bankruptcy counseling.
For over 30 years, TCA has been committed to helping people around the country improve their financial futures. We work with individuals and families facing a variety of financial challenges to help them achieve self-reliance, financial stability and financial independence.
TCA is looking for a Senior Accountant to join our team!
If you’re an analytical thinker, detailed-oriented and take pride in producing quality work in a fast-paced environment, we strongly encourage you to apply!
- Financial Accounting: Assist Controller in the following tasks. Preparation of monthly in-house financial statements, account analysis, maintaining detailed work papers of key general ledger accounts, daily cash activity in bank accounts, monthly preparations of document support and/or requested work papers for CPAs for annual for audit. In addition, provide financial information as required to comply with all legal and statutory requirements.
- Budget Preparation: Support Controller in preparation of annual agency budget and budgets required for grant proposals and new projects in coordination with key staff.
- Accounting Processes: Prepare and review journal entries and work with accounting staff to insure accurate and consistent coding of general ledger accounts. Daily maintenance of cash receipts entries to the general ledger through the bank reconciliation module. Weekly, reconcile the general checking account and at month end. Support Controller in the accuracy of the information input to all accounting systems.
- Trust Accounting: Daily prepares and transmit wire transfers between the main Arizona trust account and all other state’s trust accounts. Also, monitors positive pay transactions on main trust account and uploads cleared trust checks (from bank) to Enterprise data base
- Accounts Payable: Backup for Accounts Payable Specialist in issuing checks, invoice processing, and other miscellaneous duties regarding vendor payments.
- Payroll Processing: Backup for the Payroll specialist in processing the biweekly payroll by inputting documented changes to employees’ files, reviewing time sheets, etc. In addition, when payroll is prepared by the Payroll Specialist and in the absence of the Controller, reviews payroll to documentation prior to payroll being sent to provider for processing.
- Contribution Specialist Functions: Provides backup to this position in performance of the daily tasks required during absences of this employee.
- Payments Specialist Functions: Provides backup to this position in performance of the daily tasks required during the absences of this employee.
- Fixed Asset Maintenance: Maintain Sage FAS (fixed assets) date base, update additions, deletions, and update monthly depreciation expense and journal input.
- Assists Controller in the review of financial policies, procedures, and work processes to ensure industry standards, including periodic review of internal controls.
- Assists Controller in the Review financial proposals and long-term contractual obligations as required.
- Insurance: Assists the Controller in annual renewal applications and review of business insurance requirements.
- Annual Financial Audit(s): Assist the Controller in planning, preparation, management, and in-house audit process. In addition, assist in preparing the various States’ audit documentation.
- Responsible for knowing and complying with applicable Quality Management System (QMS) and process requirements as they apply to their area of responsibility.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education, Experience and Knowledge
- High School Diploma or GED required
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or other related field required or equivalent work experience preferred
- Minimum of five years’ experience in Accounting Department, some supervisory experience
- Non-profit experience preferred
- Keyboarding skills and computer proficiency with software knowledge to include MS Outlook, Word, Excel, Sage 100 accounting software, and Bank Website. Familiarity with Internet and PowerPoint helpful
- Must be able to type at least 55 wpm
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
- Strong understanding of computerized general ledger accounting
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- Problem solving capabilities
- Good financial sense
- Efficient in use of calculator
- Capable of multiple task management
- Capable of interacting with a team
- Good business ethics
- Working knowledge of General Accepted Accounting Principles
- Orderly management of work papers
- Conduct that supports the company’s ethics, core values, and compliance programs